Citrus & Spice Shortbread
- 250g flour
- 75g icing sugar
- 25g almond powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 turns of black pepper mill
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- Zest of an organic orange
- Zest of an organic lemon
- 1 large pinch of salt
- 135g of butter (small cubes)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 egg white
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Mix all the dry shortbread ingredients.
- Add the butter to this mix and work it in with your fingers until a shortbread consistency is formed.
- Add the egg and mix until you obtain a ball of dough.
- Roll it out, and then cover it with cling film and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- For the glaze, add the icing sugar and the egg white in a bowl, mix until to an icing sugar consistency. Then add the lemon and mix and leave aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll the dough to a 3mm thickenss. Using a variety off different size star cutters, cut out the biscuits from the dough.
- Keep forming a dough from the leftovers, rolling and repeating until its all used up.
- Place the shortbread on an oven tray covered with baking paper. Brush them with milk.
- Put them in the oven for 15 minutes. Once bake, leave to cool on an oven rack.
- Coat each star shortbread with icing, then tower them up by size as per image (largest at the bottom, smallest at top) and leave to dry.